In 1942, Renton Technical College came into
existence as a war production school. Throughout the duration of World War II,
the College provided customized pre-employment training and job
After the war, the College became a state-funded vocational school with the
mission of assisting industry in converting from a war-time to a peace-time
economy. For the next 20 years, the College conducted a large number of
upgrading-retraining classes and a small number of high quality training
In 1965, the College moved to a central campus comprised of
three new buildings. For the next five years, the basis of the specialized
College was laid with its emphasis on open-entry, open-exit, and continuous
progress instruction based on achievement of measurable competencies.
Since 1971, the College has grown to nearly 400,000 square feet and the student
body has increased 500 percent. The original three buildings have been
remodeled and expanded, 10 new structures have been built, four portables have
been added, and the college has acquired numerous off-campus facilities.
The growth of the central campus has enabled the College to
improve and expand training in the growing industries of health, service, and
information technology – especially those fields that are affected by new
technologies. The College continues to provide customized training and services
to Puget Sound-area businesses.
||The second 50 years, beginning in 1991, were marked by the conversion of the
state’s vocational-technical institutes to technical colleges. As part of this
change, governance was shifted to the State Board for Community and Technical
Colleges and authorization was given to grant two year, sub-baccalaureate
degrees and certificates of completion. Degrees are awarded in 36 preparatory
programs, in apprenticeship and through three general occupational degree
programs. Certificates are currently provided in 80 programs.