Autobody Repair & Refinishing
This program prepares students for a career in automotive collision repair. Students will learn and practice skills in a state-of-the-art facility. The training covers areas such as structural analysis and damage repair, plastics and adhesives, and refinishing.
Enrollment Point: The program is in the process of implementing changes, and the fall 2017 start has been delayed. The next entry point is expected to be fall 2018, but is subject to changes. To be notified of any changes, contact an adviser.
All program lengths are estimates and are not guarantees. For the most current program information, check with an adviser by calling (425) 235-5840.
At Renton Technical College, tuition is affordable and competitive.
Federal aid is available for most students to help pay for school. Fill out your FAFSA now to get started.
The RTC Foundation offers scholarships to help pay the costs of attending school.
All costs are estimates and are not guarantees. For the most current program information, check with an adviser by calling (425) 235-5840.
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Hours may vary based on specific program requirements. For the most current program information, check with an adviser by calling (425) 235-5840.
- Minimum age: 18 years.
- Must take the Accuplacer test before entering the program or being placed on the pre-registration list.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Mechanical aptitude and good eye-to-hand coordination.
- Good physical health.
- Counselor and instructor interview.
- High school level classes in power mechanics or auto mechanics.
- Valid Washington driver's license.
|Course #||Course Title||Crs|
|INDS 101||First Aid/CPR and AED||2|
|ABDY 100||Intro to Collision Repair||2|
|ABDY 101||Estimating I||6|
|ABDY 102||Surface Preparation and Masking||5|
|ABDY 105||Paint Application I||6|
|ABDY 106||Color Theory, Application, Tinting and Blending||2|
|ABDY 111||HAZMAT, Personal Safety, and Refinish Safety||2|
|ABDY 112||Welding for Auto body Repair||7|
|ABDY 113||Auto Body Repair Industry Careers||1|
|ABDY 114||Auto Body Construction I||5|
|ABDY 116||Auto Body Plastics Repair and Refinishing||3|
|ABDY 123||Straightening Metal||14|
|ABDY 128||Auto Body Structure and Mechanics||3|
|ABDY 129||Shop Management||2|
|ABDY 159||Live Auto Body Repair and Refinishing||9|
|AMATH 161J||Math for Auto Body Repair||3|
|ABDY 171||Communications for Autobody Repair||3|
|ABDY 231||Estimating II||6|
|ABDY 232||Impact Analysis and Repair||3|
|ABDY 234||Auto Body Construction II||4|
|ABDY 235||Door and Quarter Panel Replacement||5|
|ABDY 240||Advanced Auto Body Repair||6|
|ABDY 241||Advanced Surface Preparation and Masking||4|
|ABDY 242||Paint Application II||5|
|ABDY 243||Auto Detail||2|
|ABDY 250||Collision Related Mechanical Repair||10|
|ABDY 259||Advanced Live Auto Body Repair and Refinishing||9|
|ABDY 280||Shop Safety and Human Relations||2|
|ABDY 291||Job Search Skills||3|
|ABDY 295||Co-op I (optional)||(7)|
|ABDY 296||Co-op II (optional)||(13)|
General Education Course Requirements for AAS Degree
|Course #||Course Title||Crs|
|AMATH 175||Applied Algebra for Business and Industry||5|
|CMST& 101||Speech Communication||5|
|ENGL 100||Applied Composition or|
|ENGL& 101||English Composition||5|
|PSYC& 100||General Psychology||5|
Learning Outcomes for Autobody Repair and Refinishing Program
- Use safe practices in context of a body repair facility
- Perform structural straightening, panel repairs, and sheet metal welding as per OEM specifications
- Perform painting and refinishing processes that meet OEM specifications
- Research and gather information necessary to perform body and paint repairs in a variety of vehicles
- Demonstrate professional and ethical behavior within a commercial body shop environment
- Communicate effectively in oral and written form within a diverse team in a commercial body shop
External accreditation is not applicable to this program.