Employee Benefits

Coverage begins the first day of the month following the date of hire. If the date of hire is the first working day of the month, coverage begins immediately. Spouse or same-sex domestic partner, and dependent children are eligible for coverage. Eligible employees at Renton Technical College (RTC) receive a generous benefits package in addition to their paycheck, including:

Wellness Provisions


Health Insurance

Eligible employees may choose from among eight health plans offered in 2016, including Consumer-Directed Health Plans with Health Savings Account (CDHP-HSA):

  • Uniform Medical Plan (UMP) Classic – a (PPO) traditional plan
  • UMP Plus – UW Medicine Accountable Care Network
  • UMP Plus – Puget Sound High Value Network
  • Group Health Classic – a managed care traditional plan
  • Group Health Value – a managed care value plan
  • Group Health CDHP-HSA
  • Group Health SoundChoice


Dental Insurance

Eligible employees may choose from two managed care plans and one preferred provider plan. Dental premiums for you and your dependent(s) are fully paid by RTC. Plan options include:

  • DeltaCare – a managed care plan
  • Willamette – a managed care plan
  • Uniform Dental Plan – a preferred provider plan


Life Insurance

  • $25,000 basic coverage and $5,000 accidental death and dismemberment coverage at no cost to the employee.
  • Optional coverage for spouse, children, supplemental, optional and additional accidental death and dismemberment coverage - all at additional cost.

Review your Beneficiaries.


Long-Term Disability Insurance

  • Basic Coverage: 90 day waiting period, $240/month maximum.
  • Optional Coverage: 30-60 day waiting period(s), 60% of gross pay - tax free; retirement plan continues.


Flexible Spending Account (FSA)

You can set aside between $240 and $2,500 per calendar year pretax dollars to pay for out-of- pocket medical expenses.  Because this is an IRC governed plan, you must "use it or lose it." Enrollment must be renewed each year. See the Navia Benefit Solutions website for more information. You can use your Medical FSA for you, your spouse or your qualified tax dependent's health care expenses, even if they are not enrolled in your PEBB medical or dental plan.

(FSAs are not an option for those enrolled in CDHP-HSA plans.)


Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP)

The DCAP allows you to set aside money from your paycheck on a pre-tax basis to help pay for qualifying child care or elder care expenses while you (and your spouse or registered domestic partner) attend school full-time, work, or look for work.

A qualifying dependent must be:

  • Age 12 or younger and live with you. OR
  • Age 13 or older, physically or mentally incapable of self-care, and regularly spend at least eight hours each day in your household.


Employee Assistance Program (EAP)

The employee assistance program is for State of Washington employees, other governmental entities, and their family members. EAP offers free professional counseling and referral services.



Classified employees

New classified employees upon hire are asked to choose between (Public Employees Retirement System) PERS 2 and PERS 3 plans.

PERS 2 is a defined benefit plan. PERS 3 is a combination of defined benefit and defined contribution plan. The plan choice is mandatory and permanent as long as the individual is employed at the College in an eligible position.



Newly hired faculty who are already members of TRS 3 (Teacher's Retirement System) may chose to remain in that plan or participate in TIAA-CREF.


Faculty, administrative and professional employees

Faculty, administrative and professional employees participate in the College's defined contribution plan through TIAA-CREF. This mandatory plan is matched dollar for dollar by the College. Employees begin the plan on their date of hire and are immediately vested. Percentages of contributions are based on age.

  • 34 years and under contribute 5% of gross income with a 5% College match
  • 35 to 49 years contribute 7.5% of gross income with a 7.5% College match
  • 50 years and over contribute 10% of gross income with a 10% College match

Note: Employees who already belong to a College State sponsored plan may elect to continue in the plan in lieu of participation in the TIAA-CREF plan (i.e. PERS or TRS.)Supplemental Retirement Plans (Voluntary)


SRA (Supplemental Retirement Annuity) with TIAA-CREF (403b),  Deferred Comp with the State of Washington (457)

IRS regulations currently allow maximum participation in both the TIAA-CREF SRA plan and the State of Washington Deferred Comp plan. For more information, please go to:

Paid Time Off



Eligible employees will be paid for up to eleven (11) of the following holidays:

  • Labor Day
  • Veterans Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • The day after Thanksgiving Day
  • Christmas Day
  • New Year’s Day
  • The legally designated day for Martin Luther King Jr’s birthday
  • Presidents’ Day
  • Memorial Day
  • Independence Day
  • Personal Holiday (1 day)



Employees accrue vacation, sick, and personal leave based on their classification. To determine the accrual rate, refer to the appropriate contract or collective bargaining agreement.

Professional Development Benefits


Tuition and Fee Waiver for Permanent Employees of Washington State

Renton Technical College shall waive tuition, operating, and services and activities fees for permanent half-time or more employees of Washington State who enroll in state funded classes on a space available basis. This waiver does not apply to contract funded or student funded classes and special fees (computer, telecourse, etc.) which must be paid by all students enrolled in the class. This waiver applies to faculty, counselors, librarians, classified staff, and exempt professional and administrative employees at institutions of higher education employed half-time or more.

Space available, for this purpose, is defined as the seats or spaces remaining within the authorized published class capacity on the seventh day of academic quarter or the equivalent day of summer quarter.


Other Professional Development Benefits

Employees may also qualify for other professional development benefits depenidn on their classification and respective collective bargaining agreement.

Misc Benefits


Auto and Home Insurance