The RTC Nursing Program will be accepting applications for Fall admission until 9/1/23. Admission packets need to be placed in an envelope and dropped in the box outside of B-117 or the Student Success Center in Building I by 5 p.m. on Sept. 1. Please note changes in our requirements for admission explained below. The RTC Nursing Program is conditionally approved by the Washington State Board of Nursing (WABON) and is not currently Nationally Accredited. The program’s NCLEX pass rates were 66.67% in 2021, 70% in 2022, and 80.95% in 2023.
Pre-Nursing Info Sessions
Learn about pathways to becoming an RN, financial aid, and more at monthly Virtual Welcome Center information sessions.
Enrollment Point: Fall 2023
All program lengths are estimates and are not guarantees. For the most current program information, check with an adviser by calling (425) 235-5840.
At Renton Technical College, tuition is affordable and competitive.
Federal aid is available for most students to help pay for school. Fill out your FAFSA now to get started.
The RTC Foundation offers scholarships to help pay the costs of attending school.
All costs are estimates and are not guarantees. For the most current program information, check with an adviser by calling (425) 235-5840.
Learn more at our Nursing Program Application Information Sessions!
This session will provide information specific to the application process for the Nursing (Registered Nurse) program.
If you have questions regarding the application process virtual, please contact Colleen Bassham at email@example.com.
Virtual Nursing Program Application Information Sessions Available via Zoom:
|Date/Time (click to join)|
|August 17, 9 a.m.|
|August 24, 9 a.m.|
In order to be admitted to the Associate Degree of Applied Science in Nursing, a prospective student must meet the following requirements:
- Minimum age: 18 years (at time of clinical placement)
- Communication involving patient care in the clinical setting is critical to patient safety. All students shall be fluent in the English language, including verbal and written.
- Nursing Assistant Certificate of Completion or NA-C license approved by Washington State Board of Nursing.
- Applicants offered admission in Fall 2021 who did not have a Nursing Assistant Certificate of Completion or NA-C are still eligible for admission in Fall 2023.
COMPLETION OF PREREQUISITE COURSES: (Courses required prior to admission into the nursing program)
- BIOL& 160; General Biology – 5 Credits (prerequisite to Anatomy/Physiology BIOL& 241)
- BIOL& 241; Anatomy and Physiology I – 5 Credits (prerequisite to Anatomy/Physiology BIOL& 242)
- BIOL& 242; Anatomy and Physiology II – 5 Credits
- BIOL& 260; Microbiology – 5 Credits
- ENGL& 101; English Composition – 5 Credits
- MATH& 146; Statistics – 5 Credits
- PSYC& 200; Developmental Psychology – 5 Credits
- CHEM& 121; Chemistry – 5 Credits
- Applicants must earn a minimum grade of 2.7 in mathematics and psychology prerequisite courses. Additionally, for all other prerequisite courses, a minimum grade of “B” equal to 3.0 is required.
- Applicants may retake the course to meet the minimum grade requirement. No more than three attempts to take the course will be accepted as meeting the minimum requirement.
- Applicants will work with the Renton Technical College Academic/Career Counselor, Colleen Bassham at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Required prior to admission to the nursing program:
- Applicants will successfully complete and pass a comprehensive background check. Renton Technical College has hired a third-party vendor to complete this service for the nursing program. Applicants will be able to complete the background check requirements through the CastleBranch website.
- The background check will include the following: Social Security Administration (SSA) identity validation; criminal history for seven years; Fraud and Abuse Control Information Systems (FACIS); Office of Inspector General (OIG); General Services Administration (GSA); warrants, arrests; sex offender; child kidnapper registry; Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC); and State of Washington background verification.
- The Washington Board of Nursing Statutes and Regulations defines “passing a background check” to include “no criminal convictions.” If you have a history of criminal convictions, please speak to a counselor prior to admission.
- Applicants will apply to the program.
- Applications will be accepted during open enrollment periods. Admission packets need to be placed in an envelope and dropped n the box outside of B-117 by 5 p.m., Sept. 1, 5 p.m.
- Dates for open enrollment periods will be published on the RTC nursing website. Download the application form here.
- Applicants will establish an account and will maintain compliance with immunizations through Castle Branch (http://portal.castlebranch.com/rr63 (use package codeRr75nur). Compliance is required for entry into the program and for the duration of the program.
SCREENING AND TRACKING REQUIREMENTS
Students must meet vaccination and program-specific health requirements per the Immunization Timeline Table:
- Annual tuberculosis skin testing (initial 2-step followed by annual 1-step)
- Annual seasonal influenza vaccine
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) for Health Care Providers
- Background check and required vaccinations through CastleBranch for Registered Nurse Programs
- Unencumbered Certified Nursing Assistant or Licensed Practical Nurse license in Washington State
- Personal health insurance upon entry and for the duration of the nursing program
- Hepatitis B vaccine (series of 3 vaccines and immunity titer)
- Measles, mumps and rubella (2 vaccines or proof of immunity titer)
- Varicella (2 vaccines or proof of immunity titer)
- Tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis (Tdap) within the last 10 years
- Up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination booster
- Transfer in credits – if you took any prerequisites at an institution other than Renton Technical College (RTC), you must have official transcripts sent to RTC and you must have a student account through RTC. You must be registered with RTC to receive transfer credits. This process typically takes 3-4 weeks when ordering from another institution for transcripts to be sent and another 3-4 weeks for evaluation once transcripts arrive at RTC. You may apply to the college through online student services web admissions - https://wa270.ctclink.us/.
UPDATE: All healthcare students who have clinical rotations, externships and internships must follow the vaccination requirements of the healthcare institution where they will be working-i.e., must be fully vaccinated or have an exemption prior to their clinical rotation, externship or internship experience. Read the latest COVID-19 Allied Health Policy.
|Course #||Course Title||Crs|
|NURS 103||Introduction to Nursing||3|
|NURS 105||Reproductive Health||4|
|NURS 107||Reproductive Health/Mental Health Nursing||3|
|NURS 108||Foundations of Nursing Practice||4|
|NURS 109||Foundations of Nursing Practice Laboratory||3|
|NURS 112||Mental Health in the Multicultural Community||4|
|NURS 114||Health and Wellness||2|
|NURS 117||Alterations in Health Care Needs||5|
|NURS 118||Alterations in Healthcare Needs Laboratory||3|
|NURS 119||Reproductive Health Laboratory||1|
|NURS 195||Foundations of Nursing Practice Clinical||4|
|NURS 198||Alterations in Healthcare Needs Clinical||4|
|NURS 203||Major Chronic Healthcare Alterations||5|
|NURS 207||Major Chronic Healthcare Alterations Lab||2|
|NURS 208||Major Acute Healthcare Alterations||5|
|NURS 209||Major Acute Healthcare Alterations Lab||3|
|NURS 210||Major Complex Healthcare Alterations||5|
|NURS 281||Leadership and Management||2|
|NURS 294||Major Chronic Alterations Clinical||5|
|NURS 295||Major Acute Alterations Clinical||5|
|NURS 296||Major Complex Healthcare Alterations Preceptorship||4|
|BIOL& 160||General Biology||5|
|BIOL& 241||Human Anatomy and Physiology I||5|
|BIOL& 242||Human Anatomy and Physiology II||5|
|ENGL& 101||English Composition||5|
|MATH& 146||Intro to Statistics||5|
|PSYC& 200||Lifespan Psychology||5|
The goals of the RTC Nursing Program are:
- The student will utilize critical thought processes and prioritization skills to meet specific client needs, using data interpretation to plan and deliver evidence-based care.
- The student will produce accurate written and verbal communications to include therapeutic techniques while considering the needs of culturally diverse clients, families, and members of the healthcare team.
- The student will participate as a collaborative member of the inter-disciplinary healthcare team through leadership, delegation, client advocacy, and education, to provide patient-centered care.
- The student will uphold integrity with all professional, moral, ethical, and legal standards related to existing and emerging best-practices in nursing.
- The student will exhibit proficiency in psychomotor skills, math computations, use of technology, and informatics, as related to all aspects of nursing care.
The Nursing Program at Renton Technical College is currently conditionally approved by the Washington State Nursing Care Quality Assurance Commission. The Nursing Program is not nationally accredited. The program’s NCLEX pass rates were 66.67% in 2021, 70% in 2022, and 80.95% in 2023.