Understanding Washington State Residency

In order for Renton Technical College students to be considered residents for tuition purposes and be eligible for the resident-tuition rate, a student must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident immigration status in the U.S. for at least one year, or hold an eligible visa classification (A, E, G H, I, K or L).
  • Be physically present (or his/her legal parent or legal guardian) in Washington for 12 continuous months prior to the beginning of the quarter.
  • Have established a bona fide domicile (or his/her parent or legal guardian) for 12 continuous months prior to the beginning of the quarter.
  • The State of Washington regulates residency determinations at Washington community and technical colleges and public universities in accordance with RCW 28B.15.012-014.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Where is the Residence Questionnaire application?

  2. How much is the in-state tuition versus the out-of-state tuition?

  3. How do I apply for Residency Reclassification?

Other Residency-Related Resources:

Contact Us For More Information:

Robert C. Roberts Campus Center, (Building I, 2nd Floor)

7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday
9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday

Renton Technical College | Enrollment Services
3000 NE 4th Street
Renton, WA 98056

Phone:  425-235-2352
Fax: 425-235-7826