Explore RTC! Winter 2023 New Student Orientation
Welcome to Renton Technical College!
At the Explore RTC! New Student Orientation you will learn important tools and resources to support you as a student.
These sessions are your opportunity to connect with RTC staff, faculty and fellow students to discuss any and all questions or concerns you may have before the start of winter quarter.
Come ready to participate and make this orientation meaningful and memorable.
Let’s get started on your educational journey and the pathway to your future success!
All new/incoming students are REQUIRED to sign-up and attend New Student Orientation. Sessions are offered in multiple modes: on campus and virtually through Zoom. You can choose and sign up for at least one orientation session by finding the mode you prefer and clicking on the date and time you prefer in the session schedule below.
NOTE: If you have any questions about orientation, or need assistance with retrieving your ctcLink ID number, please visit the RTC Welcome Center to connect with one of our entry advisors.
Explore RTC! Winter 2023 Student Orientation Session Schedule & Campus Directions:
|In-Person/On-Campus Orientation Session in RTC Cafeteria
|Virtual/Zoom Orientation Session @ RTC|
|Date/Time/Location: Wednesday, December 14 from 1 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. in the RTC Cafeteria.||Date/Time: Friday, December 16 from 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.|
NOTE: Register by clicking on the date and time that you are able to attend. The RTC Cafeteria is located in Building I and directions to our campus can be found here: RTC CAMPUS MAP/DIRECTIONS
Accommodations: If you need accommodations due to a disability, please contact Jake Swanke
Director, Disability Resource Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 425-235-6618.
- How to Access Your Classes on CANVAS
- How to Access Your RTC-Student Email Account
- How to Find Your Course/Class Textbooks
- Log in to the "Getting Started at RTC" free workshop
- Log on to Canvas to see your classes and watch your instructor's welcome video.
- To speak directly with student services staff regarding any questions or concerns you may have before, or after you attend orientation, please visit the RTC Welcome Center for additional assistance:
- Monday through Thursday
- Meeting ID: 962 4916 1892
- Phone: (253) 215-8782
- Join through our Zoom Lobby page
Frequently Asked Questions: Program-Specific
- Commercial Refrigeration Technology
- Commercial, Stationary, & Industrial Engineering
- Engineering Design Technology
- Field Surveying Technician
- Machining Technologies
- Property Maintenance for Multi-Family Residences
- Construction Management
- Contemporary Business Administration
- Legal Assistant
- Culinary Arts - Chef Dan Lewark
- Culinary Arts - Chef Tony Parker
- Professional Baking
Health & Human Services
- Dental Assistant
- Early Childhood Education
- Massage Therapy Practitioner
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Office Programs
- BAS - Application Development
- Computer Network Technology
- Computer Science
- Autobody Repair and Refinishing
- Automotive Technology
- Automotive, Ford Asset
- Learn English - Commonly known as ESL (English as a Second Language) or ELA (English Language Acquisition)
- High School Completion Programs
- GED Preparation
- Youth High School Completion (16-21)
I-BEST (Integrated Basic Education & Skills Training)
Canvas: your online classroom
Online classrooms will be held in Canvas (rtc.edu/canvas), and this helpful guide can assist you with how to log on. Take the free Getting Started at RTC course to learn about computer access, Canvas, and RTC resources to be a successful student. Remember, email@example.com is available to help with any canvas-related questions you may have.
The pandemic has affected us all. If you have been impacted and need resources on housing, food, transportation, daycare, unemployment, etc., please visit our canvas Emergency Resources page. If you have been financially impacted by COVID-19, we encourage you to look at both the Life Essentials Grant Application and the Student's Emergency Grant Fund Request Form.
Student RTC Email
As an enrolled student, you have been assigned a college email address. Please activate your student email. You must use your RTC student email as it will be the main channel for communications from your instructors and the college. Here are some helpful pages when familiarizing yourself with your RTC email:
- Activate Your Email
- Access Your Email Account
- Student Email on Mobile Devices
- Frequently Asked Questions About Student Email
It’s also a good practice to link your RTC student email with your personal email account so that you don’t miss out on important information. To set up email forwarding:
- Click the Settings (gear) icon (located at the top of the page)
- In the search bar, search “Forwarding.”
- Enter your personal email in “Forward my email to:”
- Check “Keep a copy of forwarded messages” and “Save.”
If you have questions, contact the Student Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (425) 235-2500.
Your Academic Counselor
Every program at RTC has an assigned counselor who works out of the Student Success Center. Each counselor has expertise in a special area to provide communication between faculty/curriculum areas. The full list of academic counselors can be found by visiting: www.rtc.edu/advising.
If you have general questions or are unsure who your specific counselor is, please reach out to the student success center:
You can find and purchase textbooks at our online bookstore. Our bookstore website has a textbook search tool, and you may also find required textbook information directly from your instructor or listed on the course syllabus. For additional help, connect with an adviser or view this short 3-minute Finding My RTC Textbook video.
Learning Resource & Career Center (LRCC) offers personalized assistance and specialized tools that help students and staff achieve academic success and meet their career goals. The center is located on the first floor of building C in room 102. Students have access to a variety of services, which include:
- Employment Services
- Student ID cards
- Online tutoring (via ZOOM)
- Scholarship help
- Free printing
- CHIPS: Free computer help & repair
- Calculator loans
- The LRCC Food Pantry
- Technology Assistance Program/Laptop Loan Program
If you have questions, contact the LRCC at LRCC@RTC.edu 425-235-2645.
The Renton Technical College Library offers research help, online and print resources, and technology help to support students with their academic goals at RTC. The Library is located on the second floor of the C building. Students have access to a variety of different resources including, but not limited to:
- Checkout services: Students have access to thousands of books, eBooks, magazines, articles, and videos to supplement what they are learning in class, to prepare for a test, or to borrow just for fun.
- Research help: Students can book one-on-one sessions with librarians to help them with research and APA/MLA citations for their papers.
- Computer lab access with printing and scanning
- Group study rooms
- Reflection Space: Students have access to this space for prayer, reflection, and meditation.
During COVID-19, the Library will be closed but will be offering online services like research help. Limited curbside pick-up services will be available for materials throughout the quarter.
If you have questions, please contact the Library at email@example.com.
- Behavioral Health
- Campus Security
- Career Services
- Counseling & Advising
- Dining Services
- Disability Resource Services
- Financial Aid
- LGBTQ Resources
- Testing Services
- Title IX
- Veteran Services
- WOIS Career Assessment Tool
- WorkForce Education Funding
Learning & Technology
- Learning Resource & Career Center
- Student Email
- Campus Map & Directions
- Campus Reflection Areas
- Class Schedule & Course Catalog
- Graduation & Commencement
- Parking Information
- Report an Incident or Concern
- Student Rights & Responsibilities
- ctcLink for Students
- Enrollment Services
- Academic Calendar
- Education Tax Credit
- Enrollment Verification
- Get My Schedule
- Pay Tuition & Fees
- Student Forms Library
- Transfer Degree Information
- Tuition Refund
Check out the Departmental Contact Information page for other departments.